There are so many causes of climate change; it can sometimes feel difficult to wrap your head around which ones are the most dangerous. Here is a list of the most concerning causes of climate change and how we can work to stop it.
- One of the biggest causes of climate change is actually water vapor. It’s technically classified as a greenhouse gas, and it increases as the Earth heats up. This causes clouds and precipitation, which in turn creates a kind of “feedback loop” that makes the Earth warm up.
- Carbon dioxide is one of the best-known causes of climate change. Although it makes up a relatively small part of the atmosphere, it has a major effect on climate change. The Earth naturally emits CO2 through things like volcanic eruptions, but humans are adding to it by burning fossil fuels and cutting down forests.
- Methane is another major factor in climate change, and it’s a byproduct of agriculture, especially in regards to domestic livestock. Although methane has a much bigger effect on climate change compared to CO2, there’s less of it in the atmosphere.
- Nitrous oxide is another greenhouse gas that is a byproduct of soil fertilizers, fossil fuels, and other sources. Compared to many other greenhouse gases, it’s incredibly powerful.
- Also known as “CFCs,” chlorofluorocarbons are man-made compounds used for a variety of purposes. Once they are released into the atmosphere, they destroy the ozone layer. These compounds are also classified as greenhouse gases.